Homeschool Art Projects:
Kids Art Activities And Ideas
Homeschool art projects for kids are the perfect way to encourage your child's creativity!
The freedom you get with homeschooling means you can follow wherever your
child's artistic eye takes them.
I've put together our best art ideas and suggestions to tempt all ages.
- Make a paint pendulum
- Try hand art and wall art
- Create a wolf hunt with free printable wolves
- Learn how to draw a dragon
STOP PRESS! Half a million free images by famous artists have been opened up online by musuems for you to use however you want.
That's a fantastic free art resource you can use for all sorts of homeschool art projects.
Let's start by making a kids art journal:
"My son (who is 11) has decided to have a go at art journaling! Art journaling is an excellent art activity for
children. What child doesn't like collecting important things?
It can also
encourage drawing beautiful letters and presenting ideas in an artistic
way! So many benefits!" ~ Catherine
Ideas to make your art journal:
- Focus the journal on an exciting subject your child loves.
- A great start might be to begin with what's on the table and objects your child has collected.
- If your child has a general idea of what they want to express you can ask them to choose a color that goes well with the idea
and maybe a place (coast, ocean, forest, trees, home, whatever). That way
they know what to look for in magazines and materials.
- You'll need to provide some essentials like magazines, stickers, washi / masking tape, and glue.
- Colored card is always good for sticking things on!
- Download pictures from the internet and make collecting things for the art journal a fun thing to do on country walks.
- The main thing is: whatever your child does will be brilliant!
Homeschool Art Projects For Kids
My daughter Catherine's drew this chameleon (age 11) as part of one of the many art
projects for kids we've had fun trying.
Check out more rainforest animals here including free coloring pages.
Obviously, the great advantage
of homeschooling is that you can suggest lots of ideas and activities
which your child might like so they can see what suits them best.
- Would your child like to try kids' art activities with pastels or oil paints?
- Does it help to learn to draw by working out basic body shapes first?
- Would something like window painting appeal?
The only thing is - I wouldn't make your child try kids' art
activities if they don't want to.
Catherine has largely stuck to felt
tip pens and colored pencil drawing for the last few years. By staying
with something she enjoys her homeschool artistic
talents have developed enormously.
projects for kids are great as a way of trying out lots of different
ideas and activities but you don't have to be good at everything!
Kids Art Projects
are some homeschooling ideas based on one essential proviso:
buy the best materials you can, whatever the age of your child.
talented you are, those pale, blunt pencils that always seem to appear
out of the hall cupboard are going to make anything your kids do look
Good, attractive, materials are the secret weapon behind many a
great homeschooling artist.
Art ideas For Young Children
- Use some wallpaper strips for fantastic huge creations.
- Get quality pencil crayons and spend the money on good homeschool felt tips.
- Chunky wax crayons are fun.
- Try marbling. Eggs work well.
Hand Art is good fun for projects with preschool children.
- Glitter poster paint and glue add a twinkle to all activities and homeschooling kids art projects.
- You can see more ideas for homeschool art projects for kids - including making pictures by blowing through straws and even painting with your feet here: art ideas for young children.
Art Ideas For Older Kids
Kathy has a great site with lots of really interesting art projects for kids, like these multicultural
activities, where you can try aboriginal dot painting, make some
Japanese watercolor fans and even color a kimono in pastels.
How To Draw books can really help get ideas for homeschool
art projects for kids. Seeing the basic body shapes in a geometric form
can encourage your kids to tackle animals with a lot more confidence.
Check out Catherine's drawing dragons tutorial.
She takes you through each stage, starting with the head until the final exotic climax.
You'll see lots of fantastic kids art projects in our page on homeschooling activities.
"My younger son put together this paint pendulum...(He) enjoys building things!"
Make a Paint Pendulum. This is a lovely project which Nichole shared with me.
You can make a DIY version of using a paper cup, some string, two chairs and large paper!
It's an art project which also boasts a bit of science as you'll be seeing forces and motion through a swinging pendulum!
Coloring sheets can be a good start for homeschool art projects and my daughter Catherine has used her project time making you some!
You can make this fantastic wolf hunt big enough to cover the whole of one wall.
I really rate Klutz books. They've got lots of great titles to encourage kids to enjoy art. I'm going to pick out of a few of the best:
Please note that the product links on this page are affiliate links so if
you buy I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Pastels make interesting homeschooling projects by creating interesting color mixing effects.
paints are also worth trying for homeschool art projects for kids; we are
just about to start experimenting and I'll let you know how we get on!
Kids Art Activities
- Modeling takes artistic talents into three dimensions. You'll know we had a lot of fun when the children were younger with our paper mache recipe. Paper mache models are great for painting, and obviously young children enjoy salt dough and play dough kids' activities too.
- Clay is wonderful and gives lots of ideas for homeschooling
older kids' activities. Both my children go to pottery class, and if
you find throwing on the wheel too hard you could just invent your own
animals like Catherine has with her African wild dog sculpture.
- Julie has a wonderful homemade clay recipe for you to try.
- And here is our easy play dough.
- Cartoons provide the base for lots of homeschooling art
ideas for kids; we have a homeschool friend whose son's love of this
particular artistic form has made him into an extraordinarily talented
Kids Art Projects
are so many homeschool art projects for kids to choose from you'll be
spoiled for choice!
Homeschooling gives your child that essential
freedom for creativity because they can choose exactly what they want to do when they are ready.
I hope you enjoy homeschool art projects for kids as much as we have!
Love this page? Please SHARE it...
"Just had a look through your monthly
newsletter focusing on math. Thanks so much for all the links and
ideas. It's brilliant!" ~ Diana
totally love all your posts and enjoy reading them....the kids
love the activities and enjoy them through and through." ~ Bianka
Share This Page