Kindergarten Math Activities, Games And Number Fun!
Use kindergarten math activities and fun games to get your
child fluent in number skills with unique tips from one of the very few homeschooling families taught at home myself.
We loved playing math games and adding numbers into our daily homeschool activities; it was one of the highlights of our day.
Fun Math Activities For Kindergarten
I think the photo gives a clue! We borrowed the cash till
from the Toy Library so many times to use in homeschooling we ended up
If you aren't lucky enough to have a Toy Library near you, all the
homeschooling kindergarten math games and activities I suggest can be
easily found in toy stores, thrift shops or garage sales.
You don't have to have a cash till to enjoy playing shop; this is one
of those fun math activities which has enduring appeal. All children
love playing at being big people and going to the shops and buying your favorite things is certainly a lot of fun!
- There are so many ways to make this homeschooling game fun. My kids
William and Catherine loved using plastic model animals for homeschool -
you can see some of their favorites! You can get your child counting their animals and then ask them to decide how expensive they are - you'll get some interesting results!
- Food is always a winner when it comes to homeschooling
kindergarten. Ask you child to pick their favorite food items from the
kitchen and price them. We had to limit the number of items for obvious reasons.
- Cuddly toys and your child's favorite games are also great fun to price. Catherine always had to end up with Biggy the lion in her homeschool shopping basket.
- To help bring homeschooling kindergarten math activities to life, give your child real coins and notes to play with. It's good to keep some real receipts for the homeschool shopkeeper to hand out.
- Take turns being shop keeper. You can be the shop
assistant to help with any tricky problems that might arise. William
was always very good at finding the right money to buy something but not
so accurate at giving change!
Playing shop is one of those homeschool kindergarten math activities which should score
all round. It's fantastic for teaching all the basic maths skills and
it's one of those homeschooling games which you can play for years to
Free Printable Play Money
Having some money you can print out is a great way to teach number skills.
You'll find free:
- Play money
- Play dollars
- Play coins
- Play checks
You can print out at this site.
There are some money shopping activities you can adapt for kindergarten in this free download.
It's aimed at older kids, so you need to make the activities simpler but the advantage is you can use it with your child's siblings as well!
Kindergarten Math Games
Homeschool Card Games
- Uno. One of Catherine's favorite homeschooling games. Get
rid of all your cards by playing a card that matches the previous one
either by color, number, or type. Teaches homeschool numbers and
Board Games for Homeschooling
- Monopoly Junior age 5-8. A simplified version of the classic game.
- Other simple homeschool counting games involving rolling a die and moving spaces on a board. Save the Animals and Spotty Dog were some of the homeschooling favorites in our house.
Homeschool Dice Games
- Yahtzee. Roll five dice to get the highest score. Quite fun.
- Shut the Box. Another fun homeschooling dice game.
- The kitchen. Get your child involved in the sticky stuff!
Make cakes and treats together. Count the honey biscuits in their rows
of 3s and 4s. Ask your child to weigh out ingredients. William loved the
cooking timer; use it to count down to supper time!
- The bathroom. Get the weighing scales out. Find your child's
weight together and then go round the house and find other things to
weigh - what about the cat?
- Math workbooks can be a killer at this age. It all depends
on your child. But, for math to be fun, you need to keep your child
using math because they want to. Dot-to-dot books are often a hit, and another of Catherine's homeschooling favorites were books like The Great Dinosaur Search where you count the number of hidden animals on a page.
You'll find more ideal kindergarten math activities, including making a homeschool butterfly, on our fun preschool math activity page.
Looking at this list of kindergarten math activities and games I remember how much fun maths can be; I hope you and your child agree!
Courageous Homeschooling E-Course
"This course is about finding the strength in yourself to do what you feel is right for your family." ~ Shelley
"I was surprised how useful I found (the course) - somehow this feels it resonated with me in a way others haven't ." ~ Katie