Fun Preschool Math Activities:
Number Games For Preschoolers
As one of the very few second generation homeschool families, I can show you how to use preschool math activities to create a life-long
love of math.
When your child is very young, you can use homeschool fun math activities to show how numbers
are as much a part of real life as walking.
As you can see, you're given a head start when teaching young children math. Their thirst for knowledge is unquenchable.
I loved doing math activities when I was homeschooling my children William and Catherine - because it was so much fun for all of us!
With a bit of invention, you can turn all your child's favorite activities into maths!
Fun Math Activities for Preschoolers
Here are a few homeschooling ideas to get you started.
You'll need to
choose the math activity that fits best with your child's interests, or
adapt the homeschool activities here to their favorite subject.
Games are the parent's secret weapon when it comes to finding
homeschooling math activities for preschoolers.
There simply isn't
anything to beat the sneaky way you can use them to build a rock solid
foundation of basic number skills - all at the same time as having fun
with your child.
Here are some of our homeschooling favorites:
- Kim's Game. This has to a must-do maths activity for homeschooling preschoolers. Get a tray
and put ten of your child's favourite objects on it. Get your child to
count them. Cover with a cloth. Take one away. See how many are left.
You can adapt this preschool math activity to your child's ability. Try adding animals under the cloth and see what happens!
- I thought this was a fun idea for late preschoolers and their older siblings.
Kids love lego and this site offers free printable lego money. The idea is that you can give your kids lego money vouchers and they can use them to purchase legos.
A bit of bribery to help with preschool math activities always goes down well!
Another great idea is to print play money, and there's a free site which lets you download dollars and cents in my page on fun kindergarten activities.
The classic homeschool activity. Perfect for
preschoolers in the car or the house. How many pictures / flowers / rabbits can you see?
- This wonderful photo taken by Darren Irons of a tractor reminds me just how much my son would love it! Big mechanical machines are often a gift activity to
the secret preschool maths homeschooling parent.
Can you see how many wheels / wind wipers / doors that
- Fun music activity for homeschooling preschoolers.
Get your child to hop, skip, or jump to the music and count as they go.
More Preschool Math Activity ideas
- Food. The way to any preschool child's heart. Use colored
sweets to count numbers or slip in a bit of homeschool division by
getting your child to share their raisins.
- A favorite preschool math activity in our homeschool: "If Catherine was 5, how old would I be?" If you have a child with lots of siblings this game would be even more fun!
- Use any real life opportunity you have to add in a homeschool
math activity. How many dogs can you see in a walk in the park?
Birthday cake candles make highly popular homeschooling objects - no
preschoolers can resist counting them!
- Along with hatching a baby dinosaur, add some math by seeing how big a
dinosaur really is. Get a meter rule, pick your child's favorite
dinosaur, find out how long he is and stake him out in the garden. At
27m the Barasaurus we measured ended up in the nettles behind the Silver Birch tree.
- We worked out T-Rex's head would have appeared through our second-floor homeschool window.
- Find out more about dinosaurs and dig up a dinosaur in our fun homeschooling Preschool Science.
- Homeschool Cookery for Preschoolers. Get your child to weigh out the ingredients for a cake mix.
- Fun homeschooling food dye activity. Add colored food dyes
to water and get your child to tip the liquid into different size
containers. Spills inevitable but all part of the homeschooling fun...
These fun preschool math activities are just a taster of all the enjoyment you can have learning math with your child.
The secret to fun preschool math activities is to bring numbers alive by
making them part of what you do everyday - that way you can't fail to light up your child's natural ability.
"Just had a look through your monthly
newsletter focusing on math. Thanks so much for all the links and
ideas. It's brilliant!" ~ Diana
totally love all your posts and enjoy reading them....the kids
love the activities and enjoy them through and through." ~ Bianka